Friday, February 8, 2013

Sexagenarian

The World's ER Doc is chronologically old. 33 years in the trenches of Emergency Medicine and I can see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. After my ejection from LGH, I landed in a low volume, low acuity ER a mere 10 miles from my home. The nurses, docs, techs and support staff welcomed me. I'm 18 months into what will probably be my last ER job. My Emergency Medicine boards are good till 2019. The schedule is 11 nights a month from 10PM-7AM. My beloved stills works as hard as ever. Being out earned by ones spouse is a good thing.

I have no delusions as to the inevitability of entropy. Wrinkles, glasses, aches and pains, forgetfulness and personal losses are all part of aging. I see my 93 year old mother every week. She knows me and is happy to spend time together. She has lost her memory of her life as a daughter, sister, cousin, and wife. She loves to look at pictures of the past. She recognizes my father but cannot recall there life together. The saving grace is that she doesn't remember what she has forgotten.

My "best friend" for 12 and a half years looked at me last week and told me that he couldn't get up. I lifted him to his feet but his hind legs wouldn't support him. He kissed my face and I knew it was time to say goodbye. My wife and I brought him to the vet. Dr Mike, who had cared for MO since he was a puppy, eased his passage to eternity.

If Life is a play in three acts, I am in the final act. The important components are still present: a loving wife, multi generations of family to enjoy, good books, my camera, a fulfilling job, and a great bottle of scotch for the nights when I am home. I will accept life as it unfolds. Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment